Acceptance of Terms
Access to our Website
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on our website without notice (see below). We will not be liable if, for any reason, our site is unavailable at any time or for any period. You agree that we shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
Using the Website
You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access this website through your internet connection are aware of these terms, and that they comply with them. This website should only be used for lawful purposes; therefore, under no circumstances can you use the website for:
- any unlawful purpose
- promoting any illegal activities, inciting violence or to promote sexually explicit material
- promoting any form of discrimination
- the purpose of harming, threatening, defaming or abusing/harassing any other person in a way that invades someone’s privacy or is (in our reasonable opinion) offensive or unacceptable
- to create, check, confirm, update or amend someone else’s databases, records, directories, customer lists, mailing or prospecting lists
- to provide any kind of customer lists or commercial information service
- as a source of material or contact data for any kind of marketing activity
- to tamper with, update or change any part of the website
- in a way that affects how it is run
- in a way that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionably large burden on the website’s technical systems as determined by us; or
- using any automated means to monitor or copy the website or its content, or to interfere with or attempt to interfere with how the website works.
Providing material to the Haringey Business Directory
If you provide any material to the website, you agree to grant us permission, free of charge, to use your material in any way we want (including altering and adapting it for operational or editorial reasons) in any media worldwide. This includes any images, logos and content that you have provided to us. In certain circumstances, we may share your material with other trusted organisations but only those who have a direct connection with the Haringey Business Directory. After posting or emailing your material to the website, you continue to own that material, and you continue to have the right to use your material in any way you choose. Please choose carefully any information you post on the website, as it will be available for public viewing.
By providing any material to the website, and for us to be able to use it, you confirm that:
- your material is your own original work, or you are authorised to provide it to the website
- your material is not defamatory (that is, it does not damage someone’s good reputation)
- does not take away or affect any other person’s privacy rights, copyright, contract rights or any other rights, and
- your material does not otherwise break any laws of England and Wales
- you have the right to give us permission to use it for the purposes specified above.
You acknowledge that we do not have a duty to publish any material you have provided. We have the right to:
- reject or refuse to post any material you have provided
- remove any material from the website, whether or not the material goes against any of these conditions
- restrict, suspend or stop your access to all or any part of the website at any time.
We will usually display your business name with your material on the website, unless you ask us not to (as long as it is possible to do this). We may need to contact you for administrative purposes or to make checks on your material. If you do not want to grant us the permission set out above on these terms, please do not provide any material to the website.
To include your business on the Haringey Business Directory, we require you to submit the following information:
- Your business trading name
- Your business address, telephone number and contact details
- Your business social media information
- Your business URL (website address)
- Your business sector
- Some text explaining what your business is and what you do
Our moderation policy is that each entry is manually reviewed by one of the directory team. If it is accepted, we will upload it for you onto the directory website.
However, if a section is incomplete or unclear, we reserve the right not to include it until it meets accepting standards. Should this occur, we will contact you via email to request the further information for your directory.
We will not accept any entries, videos or copy that are spam, or judged to be offensive in any way, nor those that are not directly received by the owner (or someone connected to) of that business named upon the entry form. We will not accept any entries that have website or social media links to a peripheral business. We will not accept any entries that are for businesses outside of the London Borough of Haringey.
By uploading your business information, you are accepting these terms and conditions.
Videos uploaded to The Haringey Business Directory
Any videos on business listings pages are the sole ownership of that business and any people in the video should give permission to be used in the video. Haringey Business Directory is not liable for any omissions of this kind and any complaints need to be taken up with the business owner. The Council can, however, use any material supplied to it for any marketing purposes.
Listing on The Haringey Business Directory
All free listings will remain free for an indefinite period. The business understands and agrees that upon making a listing for their business, said listing will not automatically renew on the date of expiration so the listing needs to be renewed; however alerts may be sent near to expiry except where the business notifies termination thereof to the Haringey Business Directory prior to the expiration date. A listing for one company cannot be substituted for a listing for another.
- Age restriction – there is no minimum age for owning a company, but you cannot be one of its directors until you are 16. A company needs to have at least one director and a company secretary, so you would have to arrange for someone old enough to fill those positions until you are old enough, then you would be allowed to list this business on the Haringey Business Directory.
- We can only include businesses that occupy a premise or pay Business Rates within the London Borough of Haringey.
Permitted business sectors within the Directory
Advertising for gambling or betting services is not permitted by Haringey Council, and this policy also relates to the Haringey Business Directory.
Any content or advertising which has an overtly sexual ‘tone’, which features partial or complete nudity or which appears to promote or give undue publicity to illegal or inappropriate behaviour or lifestyles will also be excluded. The council reserves the right to determine what behaviour it considers inappropriate.
Advertisements that the council considers mocking of groups of citizens or that contains innuendo or subtext which could cause offence will not be accepted, regardless of tone.
In addition to the categories listed immediately below, there may also be some specific controls and policies associated with individual placements. These are listed on separate departmental guidelines which are available on request.
The specific categories of organisations, products or services which may not advertise or be advertised on the Haringey Council website are as follows:
Types of organisations:
- Political organisations
- Lobby groups
- Manufacturers and distributors of tobacco products
- Manufacturers and distributors of alcohol
- Payday lenders
- Pornography and adult content
- Gambling and betting services
- Payday loans
You agree to indemnify and hold the Haringey Business Directory, the Council, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, co-branders or other partners, and employees, harmless from any claim or demand, including reasonable legal fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of Sites you submit, or make available through the Service, your use of the Service, your connection to the Service, your violation of the Terms and Conditions, or your violation of any rights of another.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You expressly understand and agree that your use of the Service is at your sole risk. We expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, including, but not limited to the implied warranties of merchant ability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. We make no warranty that
- the Service will meet your requirements
- the Service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free
- the results that may be obtained from the use of the Service will be accurate or reliable, or
- the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through the Service will meet your expectations.
No information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from the Haringey Business Directory or through the Service shall create any warranty not expressly stated in the terms and conditions.
Limitation of Liability
You expressly understand and agree that we shall not be liable for any damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses resulting from:
- the use of the inability to use the Service
- the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained, messages received, or transactions entered into through or from the Service
- statements or conduct of any third party on the Service; or
- any other matter relating to the Service.
Trademark Information & Intellectual Property Rights
The Haringey Business Directory trademarks and service marks, and logos and product and service names are trademarks of the London Borough of Haringey Council [the ‘Council’]. Without our prior permission, you agree not to display or use such brand marks in any manner.
The laws of England and Wales apply to your use of the website and these conditions. We control the website from within the United Kingdom. However, you can get access to the website from other places around the world. Although these places may have different laws from the laws of England and Wales, by using the website you agree that the laws of England and Wales will apply to everything relating to you using the website and you agree to keep to these laws.
When filling out the registration form you will need to submit a User ID. Once your User ID is registered you will receive an email advising you to change the generic password to one of your choice. With your User ID, this should be a mixture of letters and numbers for security reasons, and when creating your User ID this enables you to edit your listing, should you choose to. Should you need us to make any changes to your listing, which are currently free of charge, we advise you to contact us so we can update and approve the changes immediately, whilst making sure the changes are correct, and to ensure their accuracy – if you update the listing yourself, as soon as you click the ‘send’ button, your listing will remain in draft form and not visible on the website until such time as we approve the update.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping
- To display in our online business directory
- We may use the information to improve our services
- We may periodically send promotional emails about new services or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- We may contact you by email.
Content you submit
You agree that any information submitted, including text, images, sounds, videos belongs to you or you have permission to submit them. You also agree that we have permission to use it on any of our network of websites and can also upload it to video sharing websites like YouTube for example. You agree to indemnify us from all responsibility and not hold us responsible for displaying any information you submit to us.
Please note that content means but is not restricted to: Drawings, Photographs, Logos, Videos, Audio files, Graphics, Text.